Young teachers from all over the globe are welcome to apply for the Global Teacher Prize 2017. This is a US $1 million award presented annually to an exceptional teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to their profession. The deadline is on October 8th.
The prize serves to underline the importance of educators and the fact that, throughout the world, their efforts deserve to be recognised and celebrated. It seeks to acknowledge the impacts of the very best teachers – not only on their students but on the communities around them.
The Global Teacher Prize is awarded by the Varkey Foundation under the patronage of HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President, Prime Minister, and Emir of Dubai.
The Global Teacher Prize Judging Academy includes public officials, head teachers, academics, journalists, entrepreneurs, company directors, scientists and entertainment industry figures from around the world. They share the common goal of shining a spotlight on the great work that teachers do.
- Candidates should be at least 18 years old. Applicants should be teachers or provide educational support to students aged 5 – 18;
- Applicants with previous convictions are not eligible;
- Top 10 best teachers of previous years’ competitions cannot participate this year;
- Candidates should demonstate high effectiveness and achievements within and outside the school;
- The award of $1,000,000 will be paid in equal parts of $ 100,000 during the next 10 years after the competition. During the next 5 years after the competition, a teacher should remain in the position.
All your donations will be used to pay the magazine’s journalists and to support the ongoing costs of maintaining the site.