Since 1991, the Bay of Somme, internationally recognized as a major spot on the migratory routes, celebrates the return of spring and birds with the Bird and Nature Festival. Every year, the Bird and Nature Festival launches its international Wildbird photo competition. It will result in an exhibition during the event, whose 27th edition will be held from April 8th to 17th, 2017. Deadline to submit your works is November 30th.
The competition is open to everybody, amateur and professional photographers, of whatever nationality. Participants are expected to keep in mind the well-being of the birds and their environment, and to avoid injury or distress to the birds or destruction of their habitat. Any photo that, in the Jury’s opinion, has been achieved through unethical or harmful conduct will be excluded from the competition.
There are 5 categories reserved for photographers over 18 years:
- Bird portrait: The subject can be photographed in close-up or whole, single or group but the photo must transmit an emotion through the pose, look, expression… The topics should occupy most of the image.
- Bird in landscape: The landscape must take a prominent place in the composition of the image.
- Artistic vision of bird: The creativity of the photographer, in shooting or post processing, must transform the mundane into a contemplative and artistic interpretation and offer a new perspective on the bird.
- Duo: Interaction between two individuals of the same species or different species (at least, one of the individuals must be a bird)
- Mini- series: The 3 images in this category must have a conductive wire (species, attitude, color, season, history …). Photos should be of identical proportions and in the same orientation (all vertical or all horizontal).
A special category reserved for young photographers aged 15 to 17 years (legal age to November 30, 2016 at midnight), with only theme “the bird in its natural environment”.
The registration fees is €2 per photo. Regarding the category for photographers aged 15 to 17 years, there is no fee and each participant may submit up to 5 photos.
A Grand Prix to the overall winner awarded with a sum of €1,500.
The Festival will offer for 2 people: one night in a hotel room / a first-class return train ticket Paris-Abbeville-Paris, or the equivalent in cash, a meal with the other nominated entrants (directors, producers and photographers).
All your donations will be used to pay the magazine’s journalists and to support the ongoing costs of maintaining the site.