We now live in a world of over 7 billion people and demographers expect us to reach 9 billion by mid-century. Create a short video – up to 60 seconds […]
We now live in a world of over 7 billion people and demographers expect us to reach 9 billion by mid-century. Create a short video – up to 60 seconds – about human population growth that highlights one of the following global challenges: Preserving Biodiversity, Sustainable Resource Use, Protecting Human Rights. Win up to a $1000! The deadline is on February 28, 2019.
Consider narrowing your focus by concentrating on a subtheme within your topic. Possible subthemes include:
- Preserving Biodiversity– Habitat destruction/fragmentation, ecosystem diversity, coral reefs, deforestation, pollinators, extinction, invasive species
- Sustainable Resource Use– Energy, fossil fuel use, single-use products, diet, overfishing, global inequities in consumption
- Protecting Human Rights– Poverty, barriers to education, women and girls, forced migration, environmental/social justice, economic security
For each category, international and US winners will receive prizes of $1000, $500, and $250.
All videos must include:
- a) how population growth impacts the issue
- b) at least one idea for a sustainable solution.
- Any middle or high school student (grade 6-12, or the international equivalent) is free to enter;
- Students may be located anywhere in the world;
- There is no limit to the number of students who can work on a video. However, the video must be entered under one name ONLY (the Lead Producer);
- This is a high school and middle school student contest, and therefore, all of the research, writing, and editing should be done by students. All entries must be submitted in English, if entries are not in English they must include English subtitles.
All your donations will be used to pay the magazine’s journalists and to support the ongoing costs of maintaining the site.